Ogbeta.ng: Coronavirus claims first European victim as man dies in Italy

Saturday, 22 February 2020

Coronavirus claims first European victim as man dies in Italy

78-year-old man has become the first European person to die after being infected with the coronavirus, health authorities said today.


The man, named by Italian news agency Ansa as retired bricklayer Adriano Trevisan, died at a hospital in Padua, northern Italy.

Mr Trevisan, from the village of Vo' Euganeo near Padua, had recovered some 10 days earlier from an unrelated health issue, Italy's health minister said.

As his health deteriorated earlier this week, he was admitted to hospital along with another person, aged 67, who had tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.

The two men knew each other and used to play cards at the same cafes, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reports.

The 67-year-old is currently in intensive care, Veneto's president Luca Zaia said.

No comments :